Every year, Mr. Gau gives his 5th graders an assignment to build a model town.
But when Ava and her little brother Ethan create Tinytown, they discover that it has a serious problem: a huge mountain of unsorted garbage! Ava and Ethan are about to give up on ever being able to clean it up properly, when they find themselves magically transported into the town-along with the audience! As the mountain of garbage grows Ava, Ethan, and the audience teach this tiny town how to recycle, reduce, reuse, and compost.
- Explore the how the choices we make impact the environment
- Create an understanding of the greenhouse effect
- Demonstrate how reducing the overall waste stream is a vital tool in waste management
- Reinforce the waste management concept of the three “R”s: reduce, reuse, and recycle
- Show how choices about Reduce and Re-use in waste management can affect a community.
- Demonstrate that one person’s actions do make a difference, either in a negative or positive way
- To teach that respect and care for the environment is everyone’s responsibility